The FY20 Defense Appropriations Act provides funding to the Department of Defense Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Research Program (DMDRP) to support research addressing discovery and development of therapeutics, devices, and other interventions. As directed by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, the Defense Health Agency J9, Research and Development Directorate manages the Defense Health Program (DHP) Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation (RDT&E) appropriation. The managing agent for the anticipated Program Announcements/Funding Opportunities is the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) at the U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command (USAMRDC).
The FY20 DMDRP Program Announcements and General Application Instructions for the following award mechanisms are posted on the Grants.gov website.
Idea Development Award – Pre-application due August 12, 2020
Independent investigators at all academic levels (or equivalent).
· Supports the development of innovative, high-impact ideas that advance the understanding of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) and ultimately lead to improved outcomes.
· Must address opportunities and challenges in the development of safe and effective macromolecular and cellular therapies that address primary pathology of DMD. Eligible therapeutic strategies include: gene therapy, genome editing, oligonucleotide therapies, exon skipping, protein therapeutics, and cell therapies. Therapies that will be efficacious across the life-span, particularly in adolescents and adults are encouraged.
· Preliminary data are required.
· Clinical trials are not allowed.
· Maximum funding of $350,000 for direct costs (plus indirect costs).
· Maximum period of performance is 2 years
Translational Research Partnership Award – Pre-application due August 12, 2020
Investigators at or above the level of Assistant Professor (or equivalent)
· Supports the development of translational research collaborations between two independent investigators to address a critical problem or question in DMD and to accelerate the movement of promising ideas into clinical application.
· Partnerships where one partner in the collaboration is a research scientist and the other is a clinician are strongly encouraged.
· Must address one of the FY20 Translational Research Partnership Award Focus Areas
· Preliminary data are required.
· Clinical trials are allowed.
· Maximum combined funding of $1,200,000 for direct costs (plus indirect costs)
· Maximum period of performance is 3 years
A pre-application is required and must be submitted through the electronic Biomedical Research Application Portal (eBRAP) at https://eBRAP.org prior to the pre-application deadline. All applications must conform to the final Program Announcements and General Application Instructions available for electronic downloading from the Grants.gov website. The application package containing the required forms for each award mechanism will also be found on Grants.gov. A listing of all CDMRP and other USAMRDC extramural funding opportunities can be obtained on the Grants.gov website by performing a basic search using CFDA Number 12.420.
For email notification when Program Announcements are released, subscribe to program-specific news and updates under “Email Subscriptions” on the eBRAP homepage at https://eBRAP.org. For more information about the DMDRP or other CDMRP-administered programs, please visit the CDMRP website (https://cdmrp.army.mil).
Point of Contact:CDMRP Help Desk