Best Practice: Board of directors provides rigorous oversight of all NPC activities in the course of fulfilling its obligations of duty, care and loyalty.
Click here for the Governance
Training Manual developed in a collaborative effort by ORD and NAVREF.
Is the board fulfilling its responsibilities? Does
- Meet at least quarterly?
- Come to meetings prepared to participate fully
in discussions and decisions?
- Participate in the process of selecting the
auditor and review/understand the audit and IRS Form 990 as well as the
- Periodically review the mission statement,
bylaws, insurance coverages, policies and procedures, internal controls?
- Annually evaluate the executive director’s
performance and compensation?
- Have a process to identify and manage
potential conflicts of interest?
- Approve an annual operations and
- Engage in long term and business continuity
planning, including maintaining an operational reserve equal to at least
6-12 months of administrative expenses?
- Participate in ongoing governance training to
ensure that all members are aware of current requirements?
- Have a defined process for recruiting and
orienting new board members?
Assistance in Governance:
BoardSource, formerly the National Center for Nonprofit Boards, is the premier
resource for practical information, tools and best practices, training, and
leadership development for board members of nonprofit organizations
worldwide. Through its highly acclaimed programs and services, BoardSource
enables organizations to fulfill their missions by helping build strong and
effective nonprofit boards. http://www.boardsource.org
Other helpful sites: